DeWalt 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw Review
- November 29, 2023
- 1 comment
Elevate your woodworking with DeWalt DW717—a 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. Precision meets power for accurate cuts in a portable design. The DeWalt DW717 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw stands out as a beacon of cutting-edge technology and user-friendly design. This formidable tool has earned its stripes as the preferred choice for both seasoned professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike. With its innovative double-bevel capabilities and sliding compound features, the DW717 not only simplifies complex cutting tasks but also raises the bar for overall craftsmanship. Our exploration delves into the distinctive features and advantages that set the DeWalt DW717 apart in the competitive landscape of miter saws, unveiling how it navigates the saturated market and cements its status as an indispensable companion in workshops worldwide.
What You Need To Know About DeWalt DW717 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw
Elevate your craft with DeWalt DW717—10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw. 7 stops, 15-amp power, and portability redefine woodworking precision. The DeWalt DW717 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw is a cutting-edge tool that redefines precision in woodworking. With an exclusive bevel detent system boasting seven positive stops, it ensures fast, accurate, and repeatable cuts. The adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 positive stops enhances productivity, while the 15-amp motor delivers a powerful performance with a no-load speed of 4,000 RPM. This saw combines versatility with durability, featuring dual horizontal steel rails, a machined-base fence support, and a unique back fence design for clean 45-degree bevel cuts. Weighing just 51 pounds, it’s easily portable, making it the go-to choice for professionals and DIY enthusiasts. Elevate your craftsmanship with the DeWalt DW717, where innovation meets reliability.
|23.5 x 31 x 19.5 inches
|No Load Speed
|45° Bevel Cut Capacity (dimensional lumber)
|2×12 (2×14 with back fence)
|90° Cross-Cut Capacity (dimensional lumber)
|2×12 (2×14 with back fence)”
|90° Cross-Cut Capacity (Max Width)
|14″ Special Set Up
|45° Miter Cut Capacity (Max Height)
|45° Miter Cut Capacity (Max Width)
- Exclusive Bevel Detent System: Seven positive stops for fast, accurate, and repeatable cuts.
- Adjustable Miter Detent Plate: Stainless steel plate with 11 positive stops for enhanced productivity and cutting accuracy.
- Powerful Motor: 15-amp motor with a no-load speed of 4,000 RPM for efficient cutting.
- Versatile Miter and Bevel Capacity: Miter capacity of 60° left and 52° right, bevels 0-48° for increased cut capacity.
- Cross-Cut Capability: Best-in-class cross-cut capacity of 12 inches at a 45-degree angle using the back-fence design.
- Machined-Base Fence Support: Maintains fence perpendicularity with the blade for cutting accuracy.
- Dual Horizontal Steel Rails: Innovative clamping mechanism and linear ball bearings for accurate, durable, and compact saw.
- Compact Sliding Design: Tall sliding fence supports up to 6-inch base molding to the left and 3-1/2 inches to the right of the blade.
- Unique Back Fence Design: Allows clean 45-degree bevel cuts through dimensional lumber up to 2 by 14 inches.
- Portability: Lightweight design (51 lbs.) with a built-in carrying handle for easy transport.
- Enhanced Ergonomics: Horizontal handle for improved comfort during use.
Design and Build Quality
With precision as its guiding principle, this saw incorporates several key design elements to enhance its cutting capabilities. Notably, it boasts dual horizontal steel rails, a machined-base fence support, and a distinctive back fence design. These features collectively contribute to the saw’s ability to achieve clean and precise 45-degree bevel cuts, catering to the demands of intricate woodworking projects.
The thoughtful engineering extends beyond its cutting prowess to prioritize practicality in workshop settings. Weighing in at a manageable 51 pounds, the saw’s compact sliding design ensures versatility in various applications. Its built-in carrying handle further adds to its practicality, allowing users to transport it with ease within the workshop. This combination of precision-oriented features and user-friendly design positions the saw as a valuable asset for craftsmen seeking both accuracy and convenience in their woodworking endeavors.
Performance and Efficiency
When it comes to performance, the DW717 stands out as a true workhorse in the realm of miter saws. Powering its operations is a robust 15-amp motor, a force to be reckoned with in effortlessly tackling a spectrum of cutting tasks. This motor not only delivers substantial power but also ensures a smooth and efficient operation, making it a reliable tool for demanding woodworking projects.
A notable highlight of the DW717’s performance is its best-in-class cross-cut capacity. Impressively, it can achieve a 12-inch cross-cut at a 45-degree angle using the innovative back-fence design. This feature not only emphasizes the saw’s efficiency in handling angled cuts but also positions it as a top performer in its category. The DW717’s ability to seamlessly combine power and precision underscores its reliability and suitability for a wide range of woodworking applications.
The DW717 shines brightest in its commitment to precision, standing as a testament to its exceptional craftsmanship. At the heart of its precision-oriented design are the exclusive detent systems and an adjustable miter plate, which collectively elevate the saw’s accuracy to unparalleled levels. These features empower users to achieve meticulous setups with ease, offering a level of control that is invaluable in the realm of intricate woodworking projects. The DW717’s dedication to precision is evident in every detail, making it a trusted companion for those who demand exacting standards in their craft.
Delving deeper into its precision features, the exclusive detent systems stand out as a key element. With seven positive stops, these systems ensure that each cut is not just accurate but also repeatable, streamlining complex woodworking tasks. The adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate, complementing the detent systems, provides 11 positive stops. This not only enhances productivity by facilitating quick and precise adjustments but also ensures cutting accuracy that meets the highest standards. The DW717’s precision features collectively contribute to a woodworking experience where every angle, every cut, and every detail is executed with the utmost accuracy and finesse.
Safety takes center stage in the DW717, and this miter saw rises to the occasion with a robust set of features to ensure a secure working environment in any workshop. At the core of its safety mechanisms is the machined-base fence support, a critical component that plays a pivotal role in maintaining the perpendicularity of the blade during operation. This design element not only contributes to the precision of each cut but also significantly reduces the likelihood of accidents, reinforcing the DW717’s commitment to a hazard-free workspace. With the machined-base fence support in place, users can confidently approach their cutting tasks, knowing that the saw is engineered for both accuracy and safety.
Adding another layer of assurance is the cam lock miter handle, enhancing the overall safety profile of the DW717. This feature not only provides a secure locking action but also does so swiftly, streamlining the operation and ensuring that the miter table is firmly in place during use. With the cam lock miter handle engaged, users can enjoy a heightened sense of control and stability, mitigating the risk of unexpected movements during cutting tasks. The combination of these safety-focused features positions the DW717 as a reliable and conscientious tool, catering to the needs of woodworkers who prioritize a secure and accident-free workshop environment.
From framing to molding, the DW717’s versatility became evident. Its cross-cut capabilities and adjustable settings make it suitable for a myriad of woodworking applications, catering to the diverse needs of both professionals and hobbyists. Here are some key applications where the DW717 proves to be invaluable:
- Crown Molding Installation: The DW717’s ability to handle nested crown molding up to 6-1/4 inches vertically makes it an ideal choice for professionals and DIY enthusiasts involved in crown molding installations. The saw’s precision and cross-cut capacity ensure clean and accurate cuts, enhancing the overall finish of crown molding projects.
- Baseboard and Trim Work: When it comes to baseboard and trim work, the DW717’s cross-cut capacity of 12 inches at a 45-degree angle using the back-fence design offers exceptional versatility. It simplifies the process of cutting and fitting baseboards and trim pieces, contributing to efficient and precise installations.
- Framing and Framing Components: With its powerful 15-amp motor and best-in-class cross-cut capacity, the DW717 is well-suited for framing tasks. Whether it’s cutting dimensional lumber or framing components, this miter saw delivers the cutting capacity and accuracy needed for framing projects in construction and woodworking.
- Bevel Cuts for Joinery: The DW717’s bevel range of 0-48 degrees provides the flexibility required for creating bevel cuts for joinery work. This is particularly useful in woodworking projects where angled cuts are essential for creating strong and seamless joints.
- Mitered Cuts for Furniture Making: Furniture makers benefit from the DW717’s miter capacity of 60 degrees to the left and 52 degrees to the right. This wide miter range allows for intricate mitered cuts, facilitating the creation of custom angles and joints essential in furniture construction.
- Cross-Cutting and Angled Cuts: The saw’s exclusive bevel detent system with seven positive stops and adjustable stainless steel miter detent plate with 11 positive stops optimize cutting accuracy, making it suitable for a wide range of cross-cutting and angled cutting tasks in various woodworking projects.
- General Carpentry: Whether it’s cutting lumber for framing or creating precise angles for general carpentry tasks, the DW717’s combination of power, accuracy, and versatility makes it a reliable choice for professionals engaged in diverse carpentry applications.
Ease of Maintenance
In terms of maintenance, the saw’s design prioritizes user-friendly adjustments. The stainless steel components contribute to its durability, and the compact sliding design minimizes the need for extensive upkeep. Here are my personal tips for maintaining your DW717:
- Regular Cleaning Sessions: Treat your DW717 to regular cleaning sessions. Dust and debris can accumulate over time, affecting the saw’s performance. A quick wipe-down after each use and a more thorough cleaning periodically will keep everything running smoothly.
- Check and Tighten Bolts: Just like any hardworking tool, the DW717 can experience a bit of vibration during use. Take a moment to check and tighten bolts and screws. This simple step ensures that all components remain securely in place, preventing any unwanted surprises during operation.
- Blade Inspection and Replacement: Regularly inspect the blade for any signs of wear, dullness, or damage. If it’s time for a replacement, don’t hesitate. A sharp blade not only ensures cleaner cuts but also reduces strain on the motor.
- Lubricate Moving Parts: Keep the moving parts moving smoothly by applying lubricant to the saw’s various pivot points. This includes the bevel and miter adjustments. A little lubrication goes a long way in maintaining the saw’s overall agility and precision.
- Calibrate for Accuracy: Precision is the name of the game with the DW717. Periodically check and recalibrate the miter and bevel angles to ensure they align accurately. This guarantees that your cuts remain spot-on and saves you from potential frustration down the line.
- Inspect the Power Cord: The power cord is often overlooked, but it plays a crucial role. Regularly inspect the cord for any signs of wear or damage. If you spot any issues, address them promptly to ensure a safe working environment.
- Store it Properly: When your workday is done, give your DW717 a proper place to rest. Store it in a dry and cool environment to prevent any potential corrosion. If you have a designated spot in your workshop, even better – it keeps everything organized.
- Stay Mindful of Electrical Connections: Periodically inspect the electrical connections to ensure they remain secure. Loose connections can lead to power issues or even potential safety hazards. A quick visual check can save you from headaches in the long run.
- Invest in a Quality Blade: While the DW717 comes with a reliable blade, consider investing in a high-quality replacement blade suited for your specific cutting needs. A top-notch blade not only enhances the saw’s performance but also contributes to cleaner and more efficient cuts.
- Follow the User Manual: Last but certainly not least, always refer to the user manual. DeWalt provides valuable insights into maintenance routines and safety precautions. It’s your go-to guide for keeping your DW717 in top-notch condition.
Remember, a well-maintained miter saw is a happy and productive miter saw. Treat your DW717 with care, and it’ll repay you with years of precise and reliable cutting.
Price and Value for Money
Investing in the DW717 might involve a notable price tag, but the value it adds to your woodworking experience makes every penny worthwhile. For serious woodworkers who prioritize precision and efficiency, this miter saw stands as a compelling investment. The advanced features and robust performance it offers not only meet but exceed expectations, making it a tool that justifies its cost.
When considering the investment in the DW717, it’s crucial to focus on the long-term benefits it brings to your craft. The precision it delivers, coupled with its efficiency, ensures that each cut is a testament to the tool’s capability. In woodworking, where accuracy is paramount, the DW717’s price aligns with the superior craftsmanship it enables, making it a sound investment for those who take their woodworking seriously.
Is it Worth it to Buy?
Undoubtedly, the DW717 stands out as a worthy investment for individuals who place a premium on precision and efficiency in their woodworking pursuits. Its multifaceted capabilities position it as a reliable companion for a diverse array of cutting tasks, promising a seamless and consistently accurate workflow. The tool’s design and features are geared towards enhancing the user’s experience, providing not just a saw but a precision instrument that elevates the quality of craftsmanship.
Delving into the investment aspect of the DW717, its worth becomes evident as it transforms woodworking into a more streamlined and enjoyable process. Beyond being a mere tool, the DW717 becomes an extension of the woodworker’s skill set, allowing for intricate designs and flawless execution. For those seeking an investment that transcends the conventional and promises long-term benefits, the DW717’s precision and efficiency make it a compelling choice that pays off in the quality and finesse of the final woodworking projects.
Pros and Cons
- Exclusive Bevel Detent System: The DW717’s seven positive stops for bevel cuts provide unmatched precision, ensuring fast and accurate results.
- Adjustable Miter Detent Plate: With 11 positive stops, the stainless steel miter detent plate enhances productivity, allowing for versatile and efficient cuts.
- Powerful 15-Amp Motor: The high-powered motor with a no-load speed of 4,000 RPM ensures a smooth and efficient cutting performance across various materials.
- Best-in-Class Cross-Cut Capacity: Offering a 12-inch cross-cut capacity at a 45-degree angle using the back-fence design, the DW717 excels in handling larger workpieces.
- Versatile Miter and Bevel Capacities: The saw’s miter capacity of 60° left and 52° right, coupled with a bevel range of 0-48°, provides flexibility for a wide range of cutting applications.
- Durable Build: The dual horizontal steel rails, machined-base fence support, and unique back fence design contribute to the saw’s durability, ensuring long-term reliability.
- Compact and Portable Design: Weighing just 51 pounds and equipped with a built-in carrying handle, the DW717 is easily transportable without compromising on performance.
- Higher Price Point: While the DW717 offers top-tier features, its price may be a deterrent for budget-conscious buyers, making it more of an investment.
- Limited Availability of Accessories: Some users have noted that finding compatible accessories or replacement parts for the DW717 might be more challenging compared to other models.
- Dust Collection Could Be Improved: Like many miter saws, the dust collection system on the DW717 may not capture all sawdust efficiently, requiring additional measures for a cleaner workspace.
- Slight Learning Curve: For beginners, the multitude of features and adjustments might present a slight learning curve, requiring some time to fully harness the saw’s capabilities.
- Weight for Some Users: While considered portable, the weight of 51 pounds might be on the heavier side for users who frequently need to move the saw between job sites.
- Limited Blade Options: Some users have expressed a desire for more diverse blade options specific to the DW717, as the availability of compatible blades with certain specifications can be limited.
- Laser Guide Not Included: The DW717 does not come with a built-in laser guide, which could be a drawback for users who prefer this feature for enhanced cutting accuracy.
|No Load Speed
|Cross Cut Capacity
|12″ at 45° angle
|12″ at 90°, 8-1/2″ at 45°
|Left 60°, Right 52°
|Left 47°, Right 60°
|7 positive stops
|Positive stops at 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, 45°
|Linear Ball Bearing System
|Built-in carrying handle
|Compact design, weighs 43.7 lbs.
|Cross-cut stop, tall sliding fence
|Ergonomic rubberized D-handle, extension wings
|$466.57 to $532.99
|$579.99 to $650.95
Makita LS1018 10″ Dual Sliding Compound Miter Saw
The Makita LS1018 10″ Dual Sliding Compound Miter Saw revolutionizes woodworking tools with its powerful yet portable design. Weighing only 43.7 lbs., this saw boasts exceptional maneuverability in workshops. Driven by a robust 13 Amp motor, its 10-inch blade spins at 4,300 RPM, ensuring consistent and efficient cutting. With a cross-cut capacity of 12 inches at 90° and 8-1/2 inches at 45°, it offers versatility for woodworking tasks. The LS1018’s miter range of 47° left and 60° right, paired with a 45° bevel range, caters to diverse cutting applications. Featuring a linear ball bearing system for precision, an electric brake for convenience, and an ergonomic rubberized D-handle for comfort, the LS1018 excels as a reliable tool. Despite a slightly higher price compared to the DeWalt DW717, its superior balance of power, portability, and meticulous design makes it an attractive choice for discerning woodworking enthusiasts and professionals.
In weighing the options between the DeWalt DW717 and the Makita LS1018, the decision ultimately boils down to the specific needs and priorities of the user. The DW717, with its slightly higher weight and 15 Amp motor, stands out for its robust power and extensive cross-cut capacity at a slightly lower price range. On the other hand, the LS1018 offers a more portable solution with its compact design and lighter weight, making it an attractive choice for those who prioritize maneuverability in a workshop setting. The Makita model is equipped with an ergonomic rubberized D-handle and comes at a marginally higher cost. Both saws share essential features such as a linear ball bearing system, electric brake, and positive stops for accurate cuts. While the DeWalt DW717 may appeal to those seeking a powerful workhorse, the Makita LS1018 caters to users valuing a balance between power, portability, and ergonomic design. Therefore, the final decision should align with individual preferences and specific project requirements.
In summary, the DeWalt DW717 and Makita LS1018 are both formidable choices, each catering to different preferences. The DW717 leans towards power and extensive features, making it suitable for larger projects, while the LS1018 offers a balance of power and portability, making it an excellent choice for those who prioritize maneuverability. Consider your specific woodworking needs and workshop requirements when making your decision.
In my final assessment, the DeWalt DW717 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw has truly surpassed my expectations. Its unmatched precision, versatility, and user-friendly design make it an outstanding choice for woodworking enthusiasts. Despite the potential cost considerations, the investment proves worthwhile for those valuing top-tier performance and unwavering reliability. More than just a saw, the DW717 is an investment in precision craftsmanship that yields dividends with every precise cut.
- Is the DW717 suitable for both beginners and seasoned woodworkers?
Absolutely! The DW717’s user-friendly design and adjustable features make it ideal for beginners, while its precision and advanced capabilities cater to the needs of seasoned woodworkers.
- What sets the DW717 apart in terms of cutting capacity?
The DW717 boasts a best-in-class cross-cut capacity of 12 inches at a 45-degree angle using the back-fence design, providing ample space for tackling larger projects with ease.
- How does the DW717 prioritize user safety?
Safety is a priority with the DW717. The machined-base fence support ensures blade perpendicularity, and the cam lock miter handle provides a secure and fast locking action for confident operation.
- Can the DW717 handle intricate woodworking projects?
Certainly! Precision is the DW717’s forte, thanks to its exclusive detent systems and adjustable miter plate. It’s the perfect companion for detailed and intricate woodworking tasks.
- What makes the DW717 stand out among other miter saws?
The DW717’s exclusive bevel detent system, innovative clamping mechanism, and dual horizontal steel rails set it apart, offering a unique blend of accuracy, durability, and a compact design.
- Is the DW717 a portable option for woodworkers on the move?
Absolutely! Weighing only 51 pounds and featuring a built-in carrying handle, the DW717 is crafted for portability, making it easy for woodworkers to move it between job sites or within the workshop.
- Can the DW717 handle a variety of cutting angles?
Yes! With a miter capacity of left 60° and right 52°, along with bevels ranging from 0 to 48°, the DW717 is versatile, allowing woodworkers to achieve a wide range of cutting angles.
- Are there accessories that complement the DW717 for enhanced performance?
Certainly! The DW717 is laser-compatible and can be paired with the DEWALT DW7187 adjustable miter saw laser system, adding an extra layer of precision and visibility to your cutting projects.
In wrapping up our exploration of the DeWalt DW717 10″ Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter Saw, it’s evident that this tool is a pinnacle of precision and innovation in the woodworking realm. With features like the exclusive bevel detent system and adjustable miter plate, it carves a unique niche, catering to both novice woodworkers and seasoned artisans. Prioritizing safety, portability, and intricate detailing, this miter saw transcends its role as a mere tool; it becomes a trusted companion for those pursuing excellence in woodworking. The DW717 seamlessly harmonizes power and versatility, making it a valuable investment resonating with professionals and DIY enthusiasts alike. As you embark on your woodworking journey, consider the DeWalt DW717 not just as a precision instrument but as a crafting companion that elevates your woodworking experience to new heights. Happy woodworking!
Greetings! I'm Benjamin Brooks, and my journey over the past 15 years has revolved around the fascinating realms of content creation, expertise in snow clearing, and the intricate world of lumberjacking and landscaping. What began as a simple curiosity about the natural world and heavy machinery has evolved into a passionate profession where my love for crafting words intertwines seamlessly with my lumberjacking and garden skills.